Tag Archives: Worcester

It feels strange having a historical article on some of Friar Street’s newer buildings, Laslett’s alms-houses having “only” been built in 1912! Doubly strange as visitors to Tudor House museum often ask about the history of “those lovely old buildings across the street”. History it has in buckets though, so long as you look beyond and beneath the current (rather splendid) edifice.

Charles Street was created in the 1890s to create a cross-roads with Friar, New and Pump streets. No complete picture from showing the houses before they were demolished, but we have just a hint of the one from New Street in this image from 1880.

In the 1890s 3 houses at the end of Friar St were demolished to introduce Charles Street. In the 1890s 3 houses at the end of Friar St were demolished to introduce Charles St. We can locate no pictures of these despite best endeavours. This photo, courtesy of Worcester Life Stories, is about 50 years later (and another within the article from 1916 shows people queuing for potatoes during rationing).

A look at some of the history of number 7 Friar Street Worcester, between Greyfriars House and the former C.A.Wall’s bakery. Currently it is a hair salon and has Thompson Trust above one of its oriel windows. We explain who Thompson was and why his name appears there.

What exactly did the Canadian Stores sell at number 12 Friar Street circa 1896? We get a good view of the frontage in this photograph of Poytress’s shop (the northerly quarter of today’s Greyfriars, using “old” style street). Are those onions and potatoes on display?

Robert Old’s shop at number 14 Friar Street (the southerly quarter of today’s Greyfriars, using the “old” style street numbering – pun unintentional here).Mr Old was a “leather cutter” by trade during the late 1800s.