Tag Archives: CFoW

In our blog two months back we showcased the Joseland storeware jugs on display in the Cross Keys Tavern part of the museum. This month we return to the theme of stone ware vessels with details about some of our other exhibits and explain what/who these were used for/by.

A buzz of excitement went around the museum the other Friday. Thought to have worn away long ago, this witch mark was spotted in our café area. The chance discovery was made primarily due to the advantageous early afternoon lighting that fateful day. Still it is not easy to find and, when found, not particularly clear. It is carved into one of the sandstone blocks of the great fireplace.

In the Tudor House Museum Tavern Room sits a neat little collection of brown glaze stoneware demijohns. One is from a neighbouring business in Victorian Friar Street – that of George Joseland and Sons. So who was George Joseland, who were his sons, when and where were they in Friar Street and what exactly was the nature of the business?

The Cross Keys Tavern existed for nearly 250 years. From somewhat low-key beginnings, by the start of the 20th century it was a flourishing establishment. All this came to an abrupt end in 1908. An unfortunate, tragic night in March of that year initiated a chain of events that ended with the pub’s closure.

Trigger/Content Warning: Contains themes of trauma, injury and death.

It feels strange having a historical article on some of Friar Street’s newer buildings, Laslett’s alms-houses having “only” been built in 1912! Doubly strange as visitors to Tudor House museum often ask about the history of “those lovely old buildings across the street”. History it has in buckets though, so long as you look beyond and beneath the current (rather splendid) edifice.

Charles Street was created in the 1890s to create a cross-roads with Friar, New and Pump streets. No complete picture from showing the houses before they were demolished, but we have just a hint of the one from New Street in this image from 1880.

In the 1890s 3 houses at the end of Friar St were demolished to introduce Charles Street. In the 1890s 3 houses at the end of Friar St were demolished to introduce Charles St. We can locate no pictures of these despite best endeavours. This photo, courtesy of Worcester Life Stories, is about 50 years later (and another within the article from 1916 shows people queuing for potatoes during rationing).