Tag Archives: Friar Street Focus

Five hundred years ago the weavers of Worcester submitted their statutes and ordinances to the crown for official approval. Their original copy survives complete with beautiful illuminations. Read of its origins and significance to what later was to become the Clothiers Guild and how the rules and regulations it contains would have affected the early tenants of Tudor House.

Tudor House is over 500 years old – well parts of it are. In that time it has seen many Kings and Queens come and go. Some, however, had a direct influence or contact with the buildings. In this Platinum Jubilee blog special we describe some of the royals who are part of the colourful story that made what is Tudor House Museum today.

In our blog two months back we showcased the Joseland storeware jugs on display in the Cross Keys Tavern part of the museum. This month we return to the theme of stone ware vessels with details about some of our other exhibits and explain what/who these were used for/by.

In the Tudor House Museum Tavern Room sits a neat little collection of brown glaze stoneware demijohns. One is from a neighbouring business in Victorian Friar Street – that of George Joseland and Sons. So who was George Joseland, who were his sons, when and where were they in Friar Street and what exactly was the nature of the business?

The Cross Keys Tavern existed for nearly 250 years. From somewhat low-key beginnings, by the start of the 20th century it was a flourishing establishment. All this came to an abrupt end in 1908. An unfortunate, tragic night in March of that year initiated a chain of events that ended with the pub’s closure.

Trigger/Content Warning: Contains themes of trauma, injury and death.

It feels strange having a historical article on some of Friar Street’s newer buildings, Laslett’s alms-houses having “only” been built in 1912! Doubly strange as visitors to Tudor House museum often ask about the history of “those lovely old buildings across the street”. History it has in buckets though, so long as you look beyond and beneath the current (rather splendid) edifice.

Charles Street was created in the 1890s to create a cross-roads with Friar, New and Pump streets. No complete picture from showing the houses before they were demolished, but we have just a hint of the one from New Street in this image from 1880.